Thursday, October 2, 2014

Days: Dawn of the Days

Hey, Days fans. There may not be a lot of you right now, but I am in the process of writing a book. The book is called Days: Dawn of the Days. Of course, it is written by me. It is about a teenager (age not revealed, maybe 13-15?) who wakes up to find that everyone on the planet has disappeared, except for him (and maybe some others!). He gets his pack, finds some sandwiches, and a dog, and sets off on an adventure into Jacksonville, Florida! He may meet a person/monster or two on the way! Bookmark this blog to keep informed on how my book is going! Here's a little demo for you! :)



JASON SCOTT
CHAPTER 1


I am Jason Scott. I don’t know how it happened. One day, everyone was all here. The next day, there was nobody. I’ll start from the beginning, where I was that morning.


I had woken up to a rather annoying, beeping, alarm clock. Same as every day, right? Got up, went downstairs. There was nobody there. That was strange, everyone must have been in a hurry. I made a bowl of cereal, and ate it. Afterwards, I went upstairs and got my standard clothes on. A white T-shirt, black jeans, and white shoes. I walked outside and saw a sight you’ll probably never see on the streets of Tampa.
There were no other cars on the street. Impossible. I walked down a few streets and on to my friend’s house, just 10 minutes away. I knocked on the door, but to no avail. I didn’t understand. How could there be nobody here, when Tampa was full of people yesterday? I decided to leave and go to the middle school, about 2 minutes away. The middle school was a big, long building that used to be the high school. When I arrived, I took a look inside and it was the same as everywhere else. Empty. The doors were unlocked, as if somebody was already here.
I didn’t understand. It did not register in my brain. Everyone had disappeared, practically overnight, except for me. Was it some kind of prank? An April Fools joke? The gears in my brain never started working. I needed to go home and get my laptop. Maybe I could find something on it. I walked back to my luxurious home, and arrived maybe 15 minutes later. I went inside, went up the stairs into my room, and got the laptop. Dead. Well, I had no charger for the laptop, since the laptop belonged to my father and he needed it for work. I wondered if he still had his FAMAS from when he was in the U.S. Military. I proceeded down the hall, and into his room. I checked in his closet. Check. The military weapon was still there. I’ll skip all these boring details and go to where I am now.
~~~
I was running out of time. I encountered what had looked like a gryphon. It had the body of a lion, and the head and wings of an eagle. It was circling 30 feet above my head, and all I had was an electric-charged FAMAS. I had tried to shoot at it, but the recoil was too much. I didn’t have any time to think before it charged down at me.
I had to dodge. It wasn’t like I could shoot at it, because if there’s ever a gryphon coming straight at you at 30 miles an hour, and you can manage to kill it, please tell me. While I was on the ground, I saw a penny. Great, just what I need right now. I picked it up, but it seemed a little  
warm… too warm. There was a flash, and the next thing I knew, the penny was now a 3 foot steel blade. I nearly dropped it when I saw what it was. In my state of shock, I had failed to notice that the gryphon was getting ready to snap my head off. I frantically picked up my sword and parried its bite. Feinting a blow, it flinched. During the time that the gryphon idiotically had its head turned and eyes closed, I came in for the kill. I jumped on its back and stabbed the blade  into the small of its back.
That concludes the fight with the gryphon. I was taken by surprise when the gryphon spontaneously turned into a golden retriever. The dog licked me and whined, as if it were hungry. “Are you hungry, buddy?” I asked the dog. It barked, as if it knew that that quote had something to do with a big, delicious bowl of food. “I guess I’m getting pretty hungry, too, bud,” I said. “Let’s go find something to eat, no grapes or chocolate.” We were successful in the first 10 minutes. We found a sandwich restaurant near that big office building. I have named the dog Chrysos, meaning ‘Gold’ in Latin. I had a Honey Roasted Chicken Sandwich (deluxe) and Chrysos had a couple slices of ‘platinum roast’ turkey.
When we were done with our sandwiches, we (meaning I) decided to go down the highway to see if anyone was over in Jacksonville, Florida. If nobody was there, we would push  to Atlanta. I found a green backpack, some plastic and brown bags and put some sandwiches in there for me, and some meat and lettuce for Chrysos. I grabbed about 10 bottles of water. We left the sandwich eatery, and walked slowly, for a couple days, down I-275 to Jacksonville. At night, we would find an unlocked car and sleep in it until dawn.
~END DEMO~


How do you think? Leave a comment if you think it's good so far, and what to improve! Remember, this is NOT the entire story! Thanks! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment